You are not logged in.

#1 2023-11-24 4:48 pm

catscratch

Testing the API with a know malicious ip address

This might sound like a silly question but I don't have much experience with APIs. I was able to successfully add the code to process a request. Great. Now I need to test to see if it works on a known spammer ip address, not mine. I found one of your lists.

To test to see if it works I can feed the form one of the bad ip addresses.

The question, by testing in this manner will the connection/response do anything to identify my website and its ip address in a list?

#2 2023-11-24 5:57 pm

Alex Kemp
Website

Re: Testing the API with a know malicious ip address

All IP addresses that access a(ny) website are listed & retained. That is a standard part of the functioning of all websites and, if you go through for yourself the needs for a website admin to check usage, root out attempts at malicious access, and a hundred other features, you will understand why. Apart from that, there is zero reason why any (non-malicious) access to an API should appear on a published list of user-addresses. It would rapidly become defunct should any similar site do that.

SFS Site Stats are here. You will see that it virtually all consists of Reports and not Reads. The Submissions (which I believe to be Reads rather than Reports) are up to 60,000 a day and, no disrespect, but a simple read by you will disappear within that.

Board footer